How does the construction of a green roof work?
Have you ordered a green roof or are considering buying one? This article explains in detail how the installation of a green roof works. Note: before placing an order, check which maximum weight your roof can support and assess which system is suitable for your roof.
Sedum roller system
At Marvy Green you can order two types of green roofs. These installation instructions applies to the 3-layer sedum roller system and is suitable for roofs with a maximum roof pitch of 10 degrees. The system has a saturated weight of 40-55 kg / m2.
Preparation for installation
- Pay attention to the safety requirements to work at height (think of roof edge protection, fall protection, safety helmets)
- Plan realistic because of (vertical) transport, delivery of the green roof and other materials
- Determine the location where the pallets can be temporarily stored after unloading
- Take into account direct watering (saturation) of the roof immediately after installation
When the sedum rollers are delivered
- place the pallets in the shade if possible
- In warm weather, fast processing and roll-out is required
- Distribute the materials over the roof surface depending on the permissible roof load
8 steps to a green roof
The steps below explain roughly how the construction of a green roof works.
Open this PDF for detailed installation instructions.
- Cleaning: clean the roof, free from dirt, waste and other materials. Carefully check that the roof is not damaged and therefore watertight.
- Applying root-resistant foil (optional): apply root-resistant foil if the roofing is not root-resistant. Roll out the foil over the width of your roof.
- Apply drainage layer: the drainage layer can be rolled at right angles to the root-resistant foil.
- Apply gravel (optional, but recommended): place a convex grate over the existing rainwater drainage and apply a gravel layer all around.
- Apply substrate roll: roll out the substrate over the width of the roof and saturate it with water in case of dry weather conditions.
Apply the sedum roll: roll the sedum at right angles over the substrate roll, starting with the end of the vegetation mat on top. Roll it back carefully and make sure it is in the correct position. Connect the mats well and trim the mat to size at the end of the track if necessary.
- Irrigate: Water the sedum rolls until they are fully saturated. This ensures good rooting of the underlying substrate layer. When applied in a dry period, water the roof regularly.
- Maintenance and Fertilize: Fertilize the roof twice a year. Preferably late April and early September. Also remove unwanted vegetation manually.
Green roof sedum roll system DIY
€42,30 – €52,50